Saturday, June 16, 2007

Mom's Dogs

Mom has been working again so we are a little behind on our blogging.
Today is Saturday and unless Mom gets called, she is off until Wednesday.

We went for a long walk the other night (Wednesday I think, doesn't really matter). Anyway, Skeeter got tired and didn't want to walk so Mom had to carry him for a while. Personally, I think she babies him too much. Mom has had a lot of dogs in her life. Usually two at a time.

She wrote a silly poem a few years ago when she got my late brother Buddy. I wasn't even born yet. Buddy lived to be thirteen years old and in poor health for the last few. Even having me and Skeeter, I know she still misses him.

My Buddy
by Mom

I have a big old dog.
I think he’s cute as he can be
I know he loves me too
Cause he always follows me.

He has a shiny coat of fur
It’s soft and sort of red
And he gets so very comfy
When he sleeps upon my bed.
.
He has a purple collar
And a purple leash to match.
When he gets a little itch
He sits right down to scratch

He can lick himself in places
You wouldn’t think he could.
If he were a gentleman,
I don’t think that he would.


He lays out in the sun each day
Until his fur gets hot
Then he comes inside to nap
In his favorite spot.

His very special time of day
Is when we take a walk
But he gets a little restless
When I stop to talk.

He’d rather chase a squirrel or two
If I would let him go
But dogs must stay upon their leash
In case you didn’t know.

He likes to go on picnics
Ride inside the van
Go to drive up windows
A burger, thank you ma’am

His favorite treat is icecream
I know he shouldn't eat it
But I must agree with him
It's pretty hard to beat it.

Someday he'll break my heart I know
Cause dogs don't live that long.
Even when that sad day comes
For him I will be strong.

And then I'll cry and carry on
I'll shed a lot of tears
I've had a lot of dogs you know
In over sixty years.

And I will state for all to hear
I con't do this again.
Until I see a puppy
Playing in his pen.

I hope to go to heaven
Up with the stars above
See again my doggy friends
And give them lots of love.

Tell them how I missed them
Hug them one and all
And we can play forever.
Okay, Who's got the ball?

I'll name the dogs my Mom has had. There have been others that did not belong to her that were also a part of her life. We'll save that for another day.

Peggy, a Boston Terrier
Fiji, An English Bull
Cookie, Mostly German Shepard
Sandy, A Cocker Spaniel (Like me)
Kim, A Boston Terrier
Fritz, A German Shepard
Buddy. Mostly yellow Lab
Fritz (#2) German Shepard
Hans, Mostly Black Lab
Thor, Shepard, Husky and Mom is sure some wolf somewhere
Heidi, German Shepard
Buddy (#2) Yellow Lab & Chow
Sassygirl (Me) A beautiful buff Colored Cocker Spaniel with curly hair
Skeeter, A Black Toy Poodle

I will ask my Mom to write a story or something about each one.

In the meantime today's quote is by Werner Von Braun.

"I have learned to use the word impossible with the greatest of caution."

No comments: