Monday, July 30, 2007

Buddy Meets Sassy

Mom is almost done with her dog stories. It would take a big book to tell everything about each dog. I don't want you to think that our whole life revolves around dogs, although it pretty much does. Mom's children are grown and the grandchildren live too far away to see them very often. Therefore, Skeeter and I try to make up for it. We keep her busy anyway.
Today her story is about me and how she got me.

We were pretty happy with our dog Buddy. Sometimes we took care of a neighbors dog too. Dusty, the neighbors dog, and Buddy got along just fine. They were used to walking together and visiting each other often. After all, we just lived next door.
One day another neighbor brought home a puppy. It was a six month old Cocker Spaniel. They would be it's third owner. These are nice people but should never own a pet, especially a dog. Anyway, they tied her to a small tree in the yard. No Shade, short rope, no way to defend herself and covered with fleas. I was really upset and so was my neighbor, Dusty's owner. We approached the other neighbor and told her that the puppy was not an outside dog. We told her she needed to provide shade, shelter etc for the dog or we would report her to the Humane Society.
A couple of days later, she told us she was not going to keep the dog and she was looking for another home for her. I couldn't stand the thought of this puppy being moved around from owner to owner. She already had been three places.
I told her if she was serious, I would take the dog and pay her whatever she had invested in the dog, no questions asked. She gave me a figure. I wrote out a check and took the dog into my home. Her name was Sandy, which quickly got changed to Sassy. She still is feisty so the name Sassy fits he well.
Buddy loved the new puppy. You would have thought we had bought her for him. He would hold her down with his big paw every morning and wash her face, ears and anything else he felt needed attention. She could do anything she wanted to him, pull his tail, jump over him. Anything to get him to play. Once in a while he would let her know he was still the Alpha dog around here.
Buddy got a new lease on life when she came. He became more active and acted more alert even with his health problems. I truly believe she extended his life by a couple of years.
The gentleman next door, Dusty's owner was ill and dying with cancer. He loved little Sassy and called her a doll baby. I took her over to see him almost every day. His face would light up when we came. Sassy would jump up on his lap and give him "Cocker Kisses". When he became bedridden we still came to visit. Sassy would run down the hall to his room, jump up on the bed and give him kisses.The day before he died she ran down to his room but there was no response from him. His wife put his hand on Sassy and he woke up and smiled.
Sassy and Buddy had several good years together. I guess that's why she missed him so much when he was gone. We all did.
Sassy is now the Alpha dog and Skeeter her best friend. Skeeter came to us from the Pet Rescue people.
I am looking forward to many Sassy and Skeeter adventures in the years to come. Sassy will continue to report on her blog and I will tell some stories from time to time too.

My quote for today is from all of us in this household

"We love happy endings."

No comments: