Sunday, July 22, 2007

Heidi

Although today was Sunday, we did not get to nap with Mom and Dad. They took advantage of the cooler (87) day to get some work done in the yard. Skeeter and I went out too but I personally don't understand the difference between weeds and flowers. Good thing Mom does.
I don't like getting all dirty and sweaty anyway. Skeeter loves to get in the bushes. When Mom is on her hands and knees pulling weeds he comes right around the bushes to give her a kiss. Sometimes he startles her because he is so hard to see.

Last time Mom told her sad story about Hans, and how sad Thor was. A friends dog had puppies so the inevitable happened. We adopted a female. We named her Heidi. She was mostly Shepard although very light in color. We were told her father was a rare albino Shepard.
Thor loved Heidi from the minute he saw her. He adopted her and took care of her education. Heidi never had an accident in the house. Thor would let us know, even at 3AM that we better let that puppy out.
Heidi would hold on to Thor's tail just as he had held on to Hans. It wasn't long before we could see that she was going to be bigger than Thor.
Heidi loved to play and would often get into trouble. She was too big to run and play in the house but that didn't seem to bother her. She buried her toys and cookies under the cushions of the sofa.
They both loved to walk and were so good and gentle that I always walked both of them at the same time. One day while on their walk, I fell and broke my ankle. No one stopped to see if I needed help. Now wouldn't you think that someone would have noticed a woman sitting on the sidewalk with two big dogs and think maybe she needed help. Nope, not even my husband, who drove right by looking at the other side of the street. I was MAD. I didn't think it was possible to walk on a broken bone but it is. However, after 1/2 mile on it, it was so swollen I couldn't get my shoe off when I got home.
Thor didn't like to get wet and Heidi learned to turn on the water spigot in their kennel. I would get home and Thor would be sitting in the corner of the doghouse while the kennel was getting flooded.
After we fixed that problem Heidi began digging under the porch which was attached to the kennel. We fixed that by putting lattice work all around the bottom of the porch. That lasted a short time before Heidi figured out that the lattice was easy to tear apart and she and Thor could escape by digging under the porch. What fun to run free, except we lived in town on a busy street. How they never got injured is a miracle.
Heidi became the brains of the two and no matter what we did she managed to find a way out in time. Apparently she became bored and stopped getting out.
Next time, all is not a bed of roses.

My quote for today is by George Eliot

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?"

No comments: